Monday, November 29, 2010

Conversations dogs inspire -- unsavory topics ahead!

Dogs inspire a lot of things, from art to knitted sweaters. They also inspire some very odd conversations, conversations that only other pet owners or perhaps parents could understand. One such conversation I've been having a little too frequently over the last year is what a "bully stick" is and what it's made of. (And why I would give one to my dog.)

If you aren't aware of "bully sticks" you may be one of the blessed few who are ignorant of this fascinating item and conversation piece. Or you may just call it something else.

Bully stick, bull pizzle, steer stick, bull stick, bullies, pizzles, pizzle chews; these all refer to the same dog chew. But what is it?

"Pizzle" is an old word for "penis," and that's the first unsavory hint at the chew's origins. It most commonly refers to a bull's penis, but may in fact be the penis of any animal. What this means is the chew your dog delights in devouring (likely in record time) is a piece of bull penis that has been stretched and dried. 

Mm, treats.
Om nom nom. Can we have another pizzle treat, please?

Now try to explain that to a first-time dog owner or someone who grew up only feeding rawhide chews to their dogs. Better still if the person you're talking to is male. Yeah...Welcome to the wonderful world of Dogs.

1 comment:

  1. LOL...I remember when I had that conversation with someone...with me asking "What is a bully stick?" I felt really sorry for the bull (I'm a Taurus) ...and I just can't bring myself to give them to my dogs...especially the two little boys...the love their own pizzles too much to encourage them to eat that of another "man"... Although I don't give them rawhide either.

    ReplyDelete