Sunday, November 21, 2010

Adventures in Shaping -- Will work for scritches!

Many years ago I saw clicker training in action on the set of a movie. I was impressed but since I didn't have any pets at the time it was easy to let it slip from memory. It wasn't until sometime after 2005 that I learned what that trainer on set had been doing was called "clicker training." I also learned that it had many practical applications for many different species.

In 2007 my husband and I adopted our first dog and tentatively tip-toed into the world of clicker training. It took some practice to develop better timing and coordination (to handle leash, clicker and treats), but I got the hang of it. The more I practiced the better I got. The better I got the easier it was to teach my dog new things and that's when we really started having fun with training.

I'm pretty good at capturing--where you capture a behavior as it's happening--and luring--which is where you lure the dog into a position or behavior and reward. Shaping is another way to teach a dog a behavior. It involves using approximations to achieve a certain behavior. I find it difficult to approximate what my dog needs to do and what I need to do to shape a behavior. I often find our progress going in a different direction than I had intended. As a result, I tend to rely more on luring and capturing.

About a month ago I set out to practice shaping behaviors with Dexter. (I REALLY need the practice). So I taught Dexter to open his mouth on cue as our first exercise.

I have no idea why I chose to teach him to open his mouth on cue. I wish I had a good reason, an answer that would make you go, "Ahhh... Makes sense!" But I don't. I don't have any reason. I suppose it's just one of those things that happens when you spend too much time with dogs. But let's pretend that I set out with a well thought out plan. And that plan was to teach Dexter to open his mouth so he can portray a talking dog in the movies. That sounds better than, "I dunno why I taught my dog to do that..."

At any rate, I did teach him to open his mouth on cue. We're now at a point where I don't need the clicker or treats (as you only need those when you're teaching and perfecting new behaviors). His reward for doing as I ask is praise and scritches.

And now, without further ado, is a video of Dexter opening his mouth for scritches:

2 comments:

  1. Ahahaha! I love how serious he is about it. Also how much harder you're working than he is. ;)

    ReplyDelete