Thursday, December 9, 2010

Dogs on death row in Broward County, FL going home for the holidays

Earlier this year a Siberian Husky being walked on a leash encountered a small Poodle who was off-leash. There was a fight--or attack, depending on whose story is to be believed--and the Poodle died at the hands (paws?) of the Husky. Despite the fact that the Poodle's owners were in violation of the county's leash law it was the law-abiding Husky (and her family) who was punished. Brandie, an 11-year-old Husky, was labeled "dangerous" and later sentenced to death.

Brandie's death sentence turned into a lawsuit, soon to be followed by more law suits, a country-wide plea to change the one-strike dangerous dog law and save Broward County's death row dogs.

Now Brandie and Gigi, another dog sitting on Broward County's doggie death row, are going home. Just in time for the holidays.

See http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/broward/blog/2010/12/broward_county_releasing_dogs.html for more information.

This is one of those stories that I cannot help but feel strongly about. I have found myself in a similar situation more than once. Just this past week I was walking Dexter, my delightfully doofy dog, on a 6 ft leash when a dog charged down his driveway at us. Dexter is a very non-confrontational dog; I've seen him diffuse some pretty sketchy situations by displaying appropriate body language, he will walk away from dogs who are bothering him, and would rather give up his prized bone than fight over it. But he's not a total push-over. The second time he was attacked by another dog he actually fought back. He will do what he can to keep his hide out of trouble, but when push comes to shove he will defend himself.

So as I turned to face this cream coloured dog barreling down the driveway straight for Dexter I wasn't sure whether Dexter was about to run the other way or stand and defend himself. And I didn't want to find out.


The good news is that this time the dog was more scared of me acting like a crazy person--limbs flailing and voice booming threats--than intent on harming Dexter. And Dexter got away without a scratch on him (probably because he tried to stay behind me) that I could find. I got away with a twisted ankle and no bite marks. But it could have been worse. Dexter and the aggressor could have tangled in a deadly fight. And what if Dexter defended himself successfully?

This is not the first time we've been attacked by an off-leash dog while my dog was on-leash. It is unlikely to be the last. And it is one of my worst nightmares that one day, despite all of my efforts to raise my dogs to be safe, polite members of society, that I could lose one to someone else's negligence and irresponsibility.

Leashes and fences exist for a reason: let's use them. Use them so we don't scare or harm people or their pets. There's no excuse to let dogs roam at large, threatening children, pets and wildlife. Your dog may pay the ultimate price. Or someone else might instead.

We all need to be considerate of those around us and responsible with our pets.

Dex
My leash keeps me safe. It looks pretty snazzy, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment