Monday, December 20, 2010

Breed tests -- What are you, Dexter?

IMG_8652aLast month I surprised my husband with a very early Christmas gift: a DNA test to determine Dexter and Fig's breeds. I have seen some wild breed results with these DNA tests so I admit I'm rather skeptical. I've seen a Pit Bull come back as predominantly Saluki and a Retriever mix come back as a Basenji. They're supposed to be accurate, but they warn against testing purebred dogs. How can they confidently tell me what my mutt is when they can't guarantee they can tell a purebred Labrador Retriever from, well, any other breed?

At any rate, I ordered the DNA tests and sent in the swabs. It's for my husband so I don't need to believe in their accuracy.

When the results came back I kind of giggled. According to the Wisdom Panel Dexter was at least 12.5% Bull Terrier. Bull Terrier? If it had said any other bully breed, I'd have bought it. But Bull Terrier? Really? He doesn't appear to have any of their characteristics.

Then a friend showed me photos of Bull Arab dogs. Bull Arabs are mixed breed dogs originally bred in Australia to hunt pig. One of the breeds used to create this breed-in-the-making was the Bull Terrier. Why is this relevant? The dogs my friend showed me looked like Dexter. Some even had his colouring. Suddenly his DNA results didn't seem so ridiculous.

Photo of Dexter the mixed breed dogI asked myself: Could Dexter be a Bull Arab, whether in part or in whole?

Dexter was born and raised in Hawai'i. Hawai'i is a rabies free state so animals imported to Hawai'i must go through quarantine. There are a few exceptions, one being jumping through months of hoops to prove your animal is not a threat to Hawaii's rabies-free status. Another exception is any pet imported from Australia. A number of Hawai'i pet stores get their puppies from Australian puppy mills as a result. A Bull Arab imported from Australia was definitely a possibility. It wasn't even a difficult possibility.

Feral pigs are a problem in Hawai'i. They damage land and threaten endangered species of plants. Hunting feral pigs is not uncommon. In fact, it's not uncommon to see pickup trucks loaded with hog dogs any day of the week. Hunters can and do use many breeds and mixes. Some are always on the lookout for the next awesome hog dog and will go to great lengths to acquire one.


IMG_8636aSo I began looking for Bull Arabs in Hawai'i. And with a few quick clicks I found forums where Hawai'ian hunters were showing off their Bull Arab dogs. One even had a litter for sale that looked like Dexter, right down to the colouring. There were photos of the litter's older half-siblings who also looked like Dexter. Wow.

I thought I adopted an Australian Cattle Dog (also known as Red Heeler or Queensland Heeler) mix puppy in October of 2007. But maybe what I adopted was a Bull Arab puppy, some hunter's reject. It's certainly possible. It also explains the similarities he shares with the Hawai'ian hog dogs I'm accustomed to seeing.

If nothing else I did manage to adopt a very mixed mutt who has Bull Terrier ancestry. That much seems clear to me now.

5 comments:

  1. Huh. Wow! I'd never heard of a bull arab. He definately looks like one! Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I've never heard of Bull Arabs before but it certainly makes sense when you lay it all out like that. Whatever he is, he's one handsome dude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. he looks like catahoula dog also used for hunting pigs and defo Bull Terrier hound mix

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/curs.htm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad I found this post! I a dog that looks exactly like Dexter and we have been so curious to what she is. I had never heard of Bull Arab dogs before but when I saw the pics after a search I think that is what Harley might be. She looks like she could be Dexter's Sister, right down to the smile and the way she lays on my husband when he gets home from work!

    ReplyDelete