Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Adult dogs need toys, too.

IMG_7111aI've noticed a tendency for people to stop buying new toys for dogs once they reach adulthood. It seems that more people understand that puppies need toys than realize that dogs still need them.

Adult dogs need environment enrichment, too. It keeps them young in mind and body. It makes life something to be enjoyed rather than survived. Considering all the things dogs do for us--from lowering blood pressure to helping us get more exercise and socialization--we should strive to improve their lives however we can.

I try to keep this in mind and so I periodically put old toys away (so they will be forgotten and become "like new" again) as well as replacing old toys or trying out brand new ones. In an effort to enhance my two spotty hooligans' lives, I finally picked up a "Holee Roller." I've seen them around but, for whatever reason, never felt compelled to buy one. I purchased one this past month and could not be happier that I did.

The toy has become an instant hit, inspiring hours of fantastic play. The dogs share it well. It is fetch toy, tug toy, multiple-dog toy, and pool toy all in one. (It's also fascinating to my neighbor's toddler. She says it's hers.) And it's holding up well to their abuses.

But I am not writing this to encourage anyone to buy a "Holee Roller." I share this as a reminder to try new things with our dogs. It might just make their lives--and ours--that much better. Also, I wanted a reason to share the cute photo of Dex and Fig playing with their toy. ;]

No comments:

Post a Comment